Hydrotherapy & Swimming pool area
Hydrotherapy is a therapeutic intervention that uses water exercise. The water is an ideal mean for exercise and rehabilitation.
At the OLYMPION Center, the hydrotherapy programs are carried out in ultra modern spaces of 350 square meters (one swimming pool aisle and one with emerging bottom) and 300 square meters (pool with emerging bottom), respectively. These spaces provide a heated pool, 29-34 degrees, depending on the patient’s needs. In the areas out of the pool, the temperature is at 27 degrees, with 50% humidity. The pools offer controlled elevation system so that the bottom of the pool can fluctuate between 2-0 meters and is able to adjust to the needs of every patient, according to his height and the goal we have set. This also helps for the entrance of completely dependent patients with special stainless stretcher or special stainless chairs. For entering the pool, apart from the special anti sliding stairs, there are special lifts with stainless bands.
The use of the pool is for In-patients and Out-patients. For the In-patients, the use of the pool is under the care of the specialized personnel. For the Out-patients, there are especially designed dressing rooms for people with disabilities, with special supporting bars in the WC rooms, the showers and the lockers.
The hydrotherapy equipment also consists of quadrupole whirlpool, strange- galvanic bath, personal bath tub with hydromassage, where entering is also performed with special stainless lift with special chair.
The program consists of a combination of therapeutic exercises in the water, water kinesiotherapy, walking, movement range exercises, therapeutic stretches for flexibility and spasticity decrease, strengthening activities, balance and correct position exercises, muscular strength exercises, muscular endurance, resistance, self-receptiveness and coordination. At the same time, specialized therapeutic techniques are applied, based on the international protocols of functionality, for health and impairment (ICF), such as Ηalliwick, Bad Ragazz, Watchu, Aqua PNF, Aqua Fitness, Bobath, Aqua Pilates, etc.
The therapy is performed under the guidance and surveillance of the therapist and with assisting devices that help in the patient’s stabilization and support, safely, in order to perform the exercises in the desirable position (standing up, prone, supine). The equipment consists of “spaghetti” exercises, floating and exercise belts as well as swimming belts, little dumbbells of small and large resistance in the water for arms and legs, cervical lifebuoy, swimming boards, special shoes for the protection of the foot, psychokinetic games, etc.
Hydrotherapy is indicated for the following conditions:
- Paraplegia – Quadriplegia
- Cranial-brain injuries
- Athletic injuries
- Brain paralysis
- Rheumatic conditions
- Orthopedic conditions
- Injuries of the spine, knee, hip, articulation joints, bones and cartilage of upper and lower extremities
- Postoperative rehabilitation
- Muscular and ligament trauma
- Fibromyalgia, ischialgia, tendinitis, stress
- Arthritis, osteoarthritis, osteoporosis
- Cardiorespiratory conditions
- Sensory disorders
- Mental delay
- Neurological disorders, spasticity, ataxia
- Syndromes with growth neuromotor disabilities
The contraindications are the severe dermatological conditions, feverish conditions, bleeding, severe cardiovascular conditions.
The benefits of hydrotherapy are many:
- Up-thrust = walking, significant intervention especially when it cannot be applied outside the water – low burdening of the spine and all the joints – the patient receives all the exercise benefits without the compression forces (with the water up to the thoracic level, we have 15% of the person’s weight on the ground, with the water on the waist level, 40%).
- Hydrostatic pressure = Helps in reducing edemas and hematomas, improves blood circulation, lymphatic and peripheral circulation, supports the articulation joints (exercises the body and the internal organs passively), improves respiratory function and the function of the heart.
- Resistance = The movement in the water creates approximately 12 times more resistance than the one created by performing the same activity out of the water. When walking, we have 5-6 times more resistance and with running, up to 40 times more. Therefore, strength and endurance are improved.
- Warm water = Relaxes, increases flexibilty and mobility and reduces pain. Spasm and spasticity are reduced and muscle relaxation is promoted.
- Balance is significantly improved, neuromuscular splicing and stability, facilitating the functional rehabilitation.
- The patient’s immobilization is avoided, as the beginning of early rehabilitation is enabled, in the water.
- The risk of injury is far less than on land
- The water environment is friendly, entertaining, rejuvenating and elevates the patient’s moral and self-confidence.
All the above are performed in a secure and healthy environment. The coordination with the pool technicians for the pool’s maintenance and hygiene, are carried out on a daily basis, as well as the regular examination by the microbiology lab. The procedures of renewal and cleaning with the most advances systems and the automatic cleaning system, ensure high quality of water hygiene.